Google's New Policy Allows NFT Game Ads, but with Restrictions
- Google is updating its Cryptocurrencies and related products policy in September 2023 to allow ads for NFT games, but with specific conditions.
- Starting September 15, 2023, advertisers can promote NFT games that don’t involve gambling-related content.
- Eligible NFT games include those where players can buy in-game items to enhance their gaming experience.
- Ads for games that allow wagering or staking of NFTs for real-world prizes, as well as social casino games with NFT rewards, remain prohibited.
- Advertisers running ads for gambling-related NFT content must comply with Google’s Gambling and Games policy and obtain Google Ads certification; global policy application with a warning system for violations.
Google is set to make significant changes to its cryptocurrency advertising policy on September 15, to accommodate blockchain-based games involving non fungible tokens (NFTs).
However, there are strict criteria in place, and these ads should not promote gambling or related services.
NFT Gaming Advertisement Criteria
Starting September 15, 2023, advertisers can promote NFT games that do not promote gambling-related content when they meet specific criteria.
These criteria are designed to ensure responsible advertising practices in the blockchain gaming space. Advertisers can promote:
- NFT games that allow players to purchase in-game items, such as virtual apparel, weaponry, or armor, which enhance the gaming experience or aid users in advancing within the game.
Restrictions Still Apply
While Google is becoming more open to cryptocurrency-related content, it remains cautious about certain aspects.
The updated policy continues to prohibit ads for games that involve wagering or staking NFTs in competitions.
This includes any games that offer rewards such as cryptocurrencies or other non fungible tokens.
For example, promoting games where players can stake NFTs in exchange for the opportunity to win real-world value, including other NFTs, remains restricted.
Additionally, the promotion of social casino games that reward NFTs is not allowed.
Requirements for Promoting Gambling-Related Content
For developers and publishers who want to run ads promoting gambling-related content integrated with NFTs, there are specific requirements to meet.
They must adhere to Google’s Gambling and Games policy and receive the necessary Google Ads certification.
This ensures that such advertisements are responsible and compliant with applicable laws.
Global Application and Enforcement
It’s important to note that this policy applies globally to all accounts that advertise products related to cryptocurrency, NFTs, and blockchain-based games.
Advertisers are expected to comply with local laws for the areas where their ads are targeted.
Adherence to Policy and Warnings
Google emphasizes that violations of this policy will not result in immediate account suspension without prior warning.
Advertisers will receive a warning at least seven days before any account suspension.
This approach aims to encourage compliance while allowing advertisers the opportunity to rectify any policy violations.
As Google continues to refine its policies in the evolving landscape of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology, these updates seek to strike a balance between promoting innovative products and ensuring responsible advertising practices.
*Stay informed about the latest developments in the crypto world with XGA, your go-to source for up-to-date crypto news. Subscribe to our newsletter and join our community to stay ahead in the ever-evolving world of cryptocurrency.