Epic Games Store Revises Policies to Welcome Blockchain Games Back to Its Platform
- Epic Games Store reopens its doors to blockchain and Web3 games, reversing its previous ban on “Adults Only” (AO) titles.
- The platform now allows games with non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and blockchain elements, while maintaining restrictions on explicit content like pornography and gambling.
- Games previously removed due to AO ratings, such as Unchained Gods and Striker Manager 3, are reinstated, marking a positive response to the policy change.
- Immutable, the developer of Gods Unchained, applauds the decision, seeing it as a step towards wider adoption of web3 gaming experiences.
- While Epic Games Store embraces blockchain, Steam continues its ban on blockchain and NFT games, sparking discussions about potential shifts in industry standards.
The digital landscape of gaming and blockchain integration is evolving, and the latest player to adapt to this shift is the Epic Games Store.
Owned by the creators of Fortnite, the Epic Games Store has recently revised its guidelines to welcome back blockchain and Web3 games, marking a significant change in its approach to this innovative gaming genre.
Embracing Blockchain: A Policy Shift
In a noteworthy move, the Epic Games Store has decided to readmit games featuring blockchain elements.
Previously, games categorized as “Adults Only” (AO) by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) were barred from the platform due to potential real-money transactions involving digital currencies like non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
This restrictive policy, however, has undergone a transformation. The Epic Games Store now makes an exception for blockchain and NFT games, allowing them back into its extensive catalog.
This adjustment reflects the platform’s recognition of the growing influence and significance of blockchain technology in the gaming industry.
Web3 gaming is officially back on @EpicGames!— Immutable (@Immutable) December 19, 2023
At Immutable, we have taken a proactive approach to advocate for fair policies for web3 games. We are pleased with Epic Games’ policy decision, and @GodsUnchained has relisted on their store.
We are committed to collaborating with… pic.twitter.com/Uo6FswWP9L
“We are pleased with Epic Games’ policy decision, and Unchained Gods has relisted on their store.
“We are committed to collaborating with gaming, tech, and web3 leaders to unlock the next player experience for the 3 billion players worldwide,” wrote Immutable, developer of Gods Unchained, on X.
Navigating Guidelines: Conditions for Re-Entry
While the Epic Games Store has opened its doors to blockchain games once again, developers must adhere to pre-existing guidelines.
The platform remains firm on its stance against content that includes pornography, gambling, and hateful elements. This ensures a responsible integration of blockchain technology within the gaming ecosystem.
This recent policy change has already had tangible results, allowing games previously removed due to the AO rating to make a comeback.
Titles like Unchained Gods and Striker Manager 3 have been reinstated, signaling a positive shift in the relationship between blockchain games and mainstream digital distribution platforms.
The Ripple Effect: Industry Trends
The gaming industry’s response to blockchain integration has varied. Notably, Steam, a prominent digital distribution platform, has maintained a blanket ban on blockchain and NFT games since 2021.
Despite this prohibition, developers continue to explore avenues to introduce crypto-related games on Steam, showcasing a persistent interest in merging gaming and blockchain technologies.