Creator of PUBG Unveils Debut NFT Game ‘Overdare’
- Krafton, the creator of PUBG, is venturing into blockchain and the metaverse with “Overdare,” their NFT-driven game.
- Overdare, formerly Project Migaloo, will soft-launch in December and fully release between January and July 2024, with its dedicated blockchain, Settlus.
- Overdare aims to be a groundbreaking mobile game platform, empowering creators with generative AI tools for crafting games and avatars.
- Krafton partnered with Naver Z for this venture, holding an 85% stake, emphasizing the gaming-blockchain synergy.
- Overdare introduces a “create-to-earn” economy, enabling players to trade in-game assets as NFTs, aligning with industry trends.
Krafton, the South Korean game studio renowned for its hit title PUBG, has taken a giant leap into the world of blockchain and metaverse gaming.
In a recent announcement, Krafton introduced Overdare, their upcoming NFT-driven metaverse game project, and it’s nothing short of revolutionary.
Let’s dive into what Overdare has in store for gamers and blockchain enthusiasts.
The Birth of Overdare
Formerly known as Project Migaloo, Overdare is set to soft-launch in December, with a full release scheduled between January and July 2024.
One of the most intriguing aspects of this project is the creation of its very own blockchain, Settlus, dedicated to powering the game.
This move demonstrates Krafton’s commitment to blockchain technology and its potential in reshaping the gaming industry.
Crafting Your Metaverse Experience
Overdare promises to be a groundbreaking mobile game platform, akin to the popular platform Roblox.
It’s built using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 5, ensuring top-notch graphics and performance. What sets Overdare apart is its focus on empowering creators.
The platform will provide generative artificial intelligence (AI) tools, enabling gamers to craft their unique shooter games, role-playing games (RPGs), action RPGs, and much more.
The possibilities are limited only by one’s imagination.
“Overdare empowers gamers to become creators, offering them a canvas to build their virtual worlds,” said Krafton Team.
In addition to game creation, Overdare will enable users to design custom avatars and engage in social interactions within the metaverse.
A Glimpse of the Metaverse
The first official teaser trailer of Overdare provides a tantalizing glimpse into this new digital universe.
It showcases an open-world platform where users can construct games and environments using AI tools.
It also highlights the diverse array of user-generated games, virtual concerts, avatar customization options, and more.
It’s an immersive experience that holds the promise of redefining how we engage with gaming and the metaverse.
A Joint Venture with Naver Z
Earlier this year, Krafton joined forces with Naver Z, an augmented reality (AR) tech firm, to bring Overdare to life.
Krafton retains an 85% stake in the project, while Naver Z holds the remaining 15%.
This collaboration demonstrates the industry’s growing interest in combining gaming and blockchain technology to create innovative and engaging experiences.
The “Create-to-Earn” Economy
One of the most intriguing aspects of Overdare is its commitment to a “create-to-earn” game economy.
In this ecosystem, players can buy and sell in-game digital assets as NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens).
This decision is underpinned by the belief that NFTs offer transparency and secure transactions, crucial elements in the world of blockchain gaming.
Krafton’s journey into blockchain doesn’t stop at Overdare.
They recently unveiled Settlus, a blockchain project utilizing the Cosmos SDK for payment settlements in USDC.
This move aligns with the broader industry trend of leveraging stablecoins like USDC for their stability in the volatile crypto market.
The Road Ahead
While Settlus and its potential introduction of an NFT licensing system are promising, there’s still much to uncover about this ambitious project.
Krafton is actively addressing challenges such as item scarcity and volatile token prices to ensure a positive experience for gamers and creators.
Whether Settlus will eventually offer its own token remains uncertain.
*At XGA Academy, we’re dedicated to simplifying your journey into the world of cryptocurrency, blockchain, and Web3. Subscribe to our newsletter and join our community to stay ahead in the ever-evolving world of Web3.